Friday, May 28, 2010

More Macragge Madness....


Finished off that Macragge set. Above are the Gaunts, painted in Leviathan colors. What? You say Leviathan wasn't at Macragge? No worries, neither were the Angels of Flame. My hat's off to you people who paint the Gaunts by the hundreds. All those curves and spikey bits are a tremendous pain in the ass to keep consistent. I dropped the red claws and guns b/c frankly, it looked gay in the color guide and I liked the menacing dark bits better. 




Some new-school Genestealers romping into combat alongside their wimpier brothers. I was tempted to push for the grey-pink paint scheme worn by the classic Space Hulk stealers (hey! I never posted mine, did I? Huh, better fix that ). God only knows what Tyracron  version will look like. I could do head swaps on a test model and paint it with metallics, I guess...




Nasty little spore mines. I suppose I should think about some for my Harpies to shit all over the enemy too. Not that they'll be around long when the Harpy does a wing-over and dives into close combat.




The nasty Tyranid land features. I stuck with the dark carapace/purple flesh look (black drybrushed with purple and washed with Necron Abyss)  If you did a whole battlefield like this, it'd be awful grim, not to mention those unearthly fleshy bits. Yeesh. 




The crashed Aquila lander. Poor Aquila, just broke up as it slammed into the ground. Really a nice bit of terrain as far as GW stuff goes. I was tempted to paint stencil numbers on the wings, tail and all, but with painting burn streaks and dust weathering, you wouldn't have been able to see them anyway. As an aircraft design, it's kinda meh, but then, Forge World needs some better aircraft designers, because honestly? Theirs are shit. There, I said it. 




Another Aquila shot. from this angle, it looks rather forlorn, all chin-down in the sand. Really what I needed for these photos to really carry off was some sand-color felt, but oh well. You get the idea. 




The Imperial doodads from the set. That engine core-thingie looks way too intact for having just come through a crash. I guess Imperial stuff really is hardier than it looks. I started jonesing for scenery whilst painting these last bits, and might undertake a project to dress up either the 40k or Dark Heresy table sometime soon. 


Here's hoping they don't entirely nerf the Sisters and Grey Knights when those PDF's come out...

4 comments:

sonsoftaurus said...

Good stuff, I especially like how the crashed lander turned out.

Chumbalaya said...

Looks nice, I like the nids particularly.

#2501 said...

Thanks!. I was a little wary of how to paint the lander, particularly with dirt all over the wings and bits. Turns out you can solve practically anything with drybrushing. :)

HolyCause said...

It's rare to see gants look that nice. Most tyranid players basecoat, fill some details, drybrush, done. Myself included. lol Although I am experimenting with dipping with makes them look very good for table-top quality quickly.

I agree, flames are a total PITA. I decided on a copy-pasta'd salamanders scheme but I'm omitting that flame on their right shoulder because it's a pain to paint even without all of the blending to make it look smooth.