Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tyracron Update: Tyrannofexes?

Been going through different ideas to make a Tyrannofex; the walking cannon, some kind of tank crab, etc, and found this old thing in my Necrons file:




That's right, it's old concept art from the previous GW website.  Back when GW was slowly but surely losingits imagination, it seems the Necrons would've had some decent armor choice like any other army, like  a floating SPG (dare I dream it might've been Destroyer-fast, too?) I lifted bunch of it before they changed the site over to their new version. Anyhoo, it's got a big gun and a Necron steersman. Not crazy about those wing things, but I definitely like the ribcage treatment, if not the taste. There's also this:




Another tanker contraption with the ribcage build, but this time more of a vehicle-thing than a self-propelled gun. While not as monstrous as the first one, I definitely like the prow. Question is, of course, where do you get that bloody big set of ribs from? Near as I can figure, you'd have to cobble them together out of plasticard, b/c even the largest Nid torso wouldn't fit. I wonder if even a dark Eldar Ravager would work as a base?


I'm leaning towards the first one, but the rib cage thing is still vexing. After surmounting that little question, everything else would be cake. 


Don't say "'ow 'bout those monolith spine thingies?" because they're waaaay too tall. Also I'm already using them on the Mycetic Crypt prototype. (Which is larger than a drop pod because it somehow has to fit 20 infantry models or 1 monstrous creature, plus the guts necessary to run the thing.)


Happy Thursday, people. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How about Battlefleet Gothic ships as the base? Some of the bigger ones have that feel, and could be modified, I think. The only problem there would be cost.

Mark said...

It's a good idea, but even the bigger ones are kinda small. I was thinking of a MC the size of a Rhino model.

Chumbalaya said...

How about using those plastic dinosuar skeletons they sell at hobby shops? There's some ribs.

dvsOne said...

have you considered the corpse cart from the wfb vampire counts? Looks like it may suit your needs...

Mark said...

Thinkin' about it. I also like the plastic Dino idea, honestly; it'd give me more bits to work with....

Tears of Envy said...

Those plastic dinos are awesome (and comparatively cheap). I got one which came in a great little faux glass dome style bit of packaging which I was very impressed by.