Monday, February 28, 2011

More Commissions: Tyranids



Just a quick post to show some more commission work (and to get us through post #99): Tyranid Warriors, along with angry little cohorts, the Ripper Swarm. I'll bet from that last post you were expecting more Dark Eldar, weren't you? Well, check back at or around post #101.




I both did and didn't want to go all out and make their weapons pulpy, squishy organs of death, because I felt it might detract from the overall model. Being as how they are the aforementioned organs, I did my best to make them pulpy/squishy without going completely overboard. I wanted them to have appear more hard with the membrane at the end, sort of like a... well never mind. 




I was sorely tempted to leave them eyeless, like the Xenomorphs from Aliens, but with the lighter Hive Fleet Leviathan paint scheme, it just wouldn't have worked out. Plus, I needed to stick to the conventions I'd already previously established with his Genestealers and Gaunts. One thing I changed, though, was not weathering their chitinous plates up to white; that made the Gaunts look too speckled and dirty, and their masters have a cleaner, more refined look (although I still couldn't exactly see them preening themselves like birds). 




As with all newer-version GW models, these do have their expressive qualities, although I'm still quite alright with the inorganic approach I took to my own. 




I don't know why, but I quite enjoyed painting these little bastards more so than their larger fellows. There's just something about a swarm of little minis on a larger base... I suppose it's because it's a bit to a diorama than just an individual mini. Oh well. 


Next time, the 100th post! 

5 comments:

Max said...

Looks great as usual!

SinSynn said...

Nids are more fun than a barrel of monkeys to paint, kitbash and convert.
It's like a big ol' barrel of evil, spikey monkeys!

Anonymous said...

Awesome... especially love the venom cannon warrior

SinSynn said...

I wa just admiring these again, and I noticed that the barrels on the deathspitters aren't drilled out?
I'm sure it was just an oversight, but it certainly needs to be done.

Mark said...

Ah crap, you're right! How the hell did I miss that? Now I'll have to go get them back from him and bore them out.

First I have that job interview tomorrow, though, and then the Knight Warden needs to get done, and the photos for the 100th' post.... ah well, no rest for the wicked.