Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Completing the Brood...


In addition to finishing Deathleaper, I also used up the last of the 'Nid Warrior parts and Tau legs on hand to flesh out a Tyracron brood. I really am glad I decided to stick with the Crisis suit legs; the posability they give the models really is head and shoulders above the old 'Nid ones. For instance, they can react to something in a blasty-killy way, like this fellow:


Unfortunately, by the time I got to our friend here, I'd run out of regular Crisis suit feet. Luckily, I had these metal ones lying in the bits box. It makes sense he'd have the extra stability anyway, with the larger gun he's toting around. One the other hand, this chap's pretty eager to get stuck in, getting ready to follow up a scything talon one-two with an axe blade:



One of the problems people had with my using the Necron arms was that they looked too spindly next to the 'Nid ones. Spiders and insects have different roles for different sets of limbs, beyond just moving about on them; with spiders, the front two are feelers, the back two are spinners, and one is even used for reproduction. Similarly, the Tyracron's middle limbs are for finer work (like firing weapons and operating their arcane technology), and so don't need to be as bulky as their forelimbs, which are more useful for things like climbing, leaping about, and of course, killing you.


Speaking of things that want to kill you, the Harpies are nearing completion....

1 comment:

Mordian7th said...

Gorgeous work - I'm really digging this project, and look forward to seeing the harpies come together! I agree that the Tau legs give the models more flexibility pose-wise, and once they're painted up they look really good. Keep up the great work!